Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sleep Training

We started sleep training with Annie on Tuesday. I don't know if it's a second child thing or not, but it seemed like every time we were ready to start sleep training she was sick, getting a tooth or the holidays were coming and traveling would mess everything up anyway, etc. Well, we are only about we are only about 5 months too late on this endeavor but now we are going full force!

I won't lie...it's been tough a tough week! Annie is 10 months old. We've tried out sleep training briefly with her a few times before but had to stop due to sickness and teething. Now we're paying for it! The girl has given me a run for my money. She pretty much cried out her entire nap times for the past 3 days. Night time sleep was really rough the first two nights.

Yesterday she cried through both naps with absolutely no sleeping. She was SO TIRED by bedtime. When I put Annie down to sleep last night she only cried for about 2 minutes (rather than her usual 1-2 hours). I was surprised and a little nervous. I waited for a little while and then went to check on her to make sure she hadn't flung herself out of the bed or anything (she's a climber). When I went in I found her STANDING UP in her usual protesting corner of the crib with her head resting on her arm (on top of a soft blanket)...ASLEEP! It was really cute. I had to fight the urge to take a picture. I know it would have woken her up. I laid her down and she roused a little and then went right back to sleep.

After a hard day of crying it out for both naps (1/2 hour and 1 hour) and only sleeping 1/2 hour for each nap, I was a little nervous about her going to bed. It didn't seem like we were making much progress. We did our bedtime routine. I praised her for doing a good job learning to sleep and prepped her for tonight's sleep. Then... Aaaaaaah! The heavens smiled upon us! She happily laid down with no fight. She even smiled at me as I kissed her and said goodnight. I left the room and she never made a peep. WAY TO GO ANNIE!!!!!! We are so proud of her and hope that it is a sign of good things to come!

2 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Eric & Gretchen said...

Good luck!!! It will be a long battle, but worth it.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger AmyJane said...

Ugh. I am determined to get this right early with this next baby. It was so painful to work through the sleep drama with Kennedy! Hopefully your success will continue with few setbacks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home