Sunday, April 25, 2010

Emily's First Prayer In Primary


On the morning of her first day of Primary, Emily asked me in anticipation when she was going to be able to give a talk. I told her they usually let the Sunbeams watch what it going on for a while before they ask you to participate in Opening Exercises. I also told her they would probably ask her to give a prayer before asking her to give a talk. I assured her that it wouldn't be too long before she had her chance.

When they passed out the monthly newsletter, I was excited to see that her wait was finally over. She was assigned to give the opening prayer on the last Sunday of the month. I mentioned it to her and she was elated! Last week, she was given a reminder note that they made into a wristband. She wanted to wear it everyday! I tried to explain to her that it wasn't exactly meant to become an accessory, but she had other plans. We would carefully take it off at night, and then have to tape it back on in the morning. Ha! It was very cute.

Today was the day. Emily gave the opening prayer in Primary with flying colors! It was her first time doing so and she was so excited. She is very good at saying her own prayers, but we weren't sure if she'd get nervous and decide she wanted help. By Emily's instructions, Chad, Annie and I were to sit in the back of the room and watch her. She was determined to give the prayer on her own. We went into the Primary room to let her practice a couple of times last Sunday and again yesterday after a baptism we attended. She did a great job and could hardly wait one more day.

She was beaming today as she sat in the front of the Primary room in the chair labeled "prayer". She looked so cute with her scripture case in hand, looking out at the crowd. She noticed Chad, Annie and I in the back of the room and gave one more huge smile. (It was a "my-baby-is-getting-bigger" teary-eyed moment for me.)

When it was time for her to give the prayer, she came to the stand in all confidence and gave the cutest little prayer...ALL BY HERSELF! I think she got nervous for just a second, but pulled through triumphantly. SO CUTE! The teacher sitting next to us jokingly said, "A little breathy, but not bad!" -HA! (She got a little close to the microphone and you could hear her breathe in a little when she got nervous.)

Way to go Emily! We are so proud of you!

P.S.- At dinner tonight Chad knowingly asked Emily to tell me what one of the Primary Presidency members asked her in the hallway. She announced that she asked her if she would like to give a TALK! I asked Emily how she replied. She excitedly said, "Yes!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home